Startup Ecosystem Manager
The Startup Ecosystem Manager works with entrepreneurs, investors, and community partners in Southwest Indiana to foster a vibrant regional innovation and startup culture. This is measured by the cadence of innovation-driven companies launching and successfully raising capital. More specifically, the Startup Ecosystem Manager:
- Works with community organizations involved in state, regional and local business development including coworking centers, incubators, accelerators, universities, local economic development organizations, regional bodies, trade associations etc. for the purposes of engaging, coordinating, and leading in entrepreneurial culture development.
- Surfacing and locally connecting venture-backable companies in a multitude of industries, but primarily in Advanced Manufacturing, Information Technologies, Agriculture, Health Sciences and Medical Device
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Assuring the organization is in the strongest possible position to increase its operation effectiveness, influence, and likelihood that it can accomplish both its mission and move closer to realizing the organization’s vision. To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the functions listed below.
Regional Resource Network
- Offer an extensive understanding and network of resources available to entrepreneurs, including educational and internship opportunities, service providers, mentors, and programs.
- Identify gaps in the entrepreneurship network of resources and directly fill them or find appropriate resources to fill them.
- Implement regional community outreach, marketing, and stakeholder management strategies.
- Host events to encourage innovation and startup activity within the business community, with a focus on Advanced Manufacturing, Aerospace, AgBioscience, Defense, Life Science (Medical Device, Medical AI, Pharmaceuticals, etc.), Logistics and Transportation, and Technology.
- Develop and facilitate founder peer groups.
- Work closely with a team of Subject Matter Experts/Contract Elevate Advisors and Angel/Accredited Investors within the region to understand the deal flow for the area and the best way to achieve positive outcomes as a collective team.
- Encourage high levels of corporate engagement towards supporting the creation and development of startups. Including but not limited to networking with corporate innovation teams, guest speaking, and hosting hackathons, networking events, workshops.
- Support K-12 and higher education institutions in encouraging students and faculty to pursue innovation-driven startup activity through curriculum development, hosting events, and guest speaking.
Meet with potential regional funders and present the Elevate regional partnership program to funding targets. Follow up with funders to ensure collection of annual contributions and provide quarterly reports on regional outcomes.
Represent Elevate at various events promoting entrepreneurship.
Regional Investor Network
Develop and cultivate angel/accredited investors in the region. Develop strong relationships with professional investment firms. Hold regular investor meetings for companies to utilize as another resource for raising capital.
Board/Advisory Board Development
- Assist in recruiting board members and mentor entrepreneurs in the development of their boards/advisory boards to ensure robust engagement and governance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duties satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Thrives in ambiguity
- Self-starter and team-player
- Detail-oriented with the ability to keep the team organized
- Managing multiple and competing priorities and deadlines
- Goal-oriented with strong project execution capabilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Experienced with reporting to and communicating with a board of directors
- Planning, organizing, executing, and evaluating projects, datasets, and events
- Flexibility in work hours, when necessary
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to develop strong ties and collaboration with a number of constituencies.
- Strong sensory skills, such as good eyesight, good hearing, and dexterity
- Strong speaking and listening skills
- Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail
- Ability to interact with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- BA/BS degree
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Analytical skills and good judgment, with the ability to gather and digest information quickly and work in a fast-paced environment
- Interpreting data, organizing, coordinating, and scheduling
- Board/advisory board experience
- Raising alternative forms of capital, such as grants, government funds and contracts
- Experience with entrepreneurs and/or corporations in a similar outreach role is a plus but not required
- Starting a company/companies in the past is preferred but not required
- Residing and working out of the Greater-Evansville, Indiana area
- A valid driver’s license is required